Merry Christmas, Waco! The countdown is on and we have details on all the fun ways to celebrate! Watch Baylor Theatre live stream a unique rendition of “A Christmas Carol”, catch a special Waco Symphony Orchestra performance or finish up your shopping and more with our list of top events this weekend.
Plan ahead with our events calendar at wacoan.com/featured-events. And when out and about, be sure to tag us (@Wacoan) on social media and use the #WacoWeekend!
1. Missing music from the Waco Symphony? Well, you are in luck! Catch the Waco Symphony Orchestra Holiday Special on Texas Music Café Sunday at 4 p.m. on ABC affiliate KXXV, Channel 25. Enjoy classical selections and holiday hits featuring musicians of the WSO strings, brass, percussion, jazz quartet and special guest—Waco Symphony Youth Orchestra. If you miss it (or just want to enjoy it again), the program will re-air at 11 a.m. Christmas morning. To learn more, visit the WSO Facebook page here.
2. Get in the Christmas spirit with Baylor Theatre’s “Shadows of a Christmas Carol,” a one-hour, family friendly, outside-of-the-box rendition of the Charles Dickens classic. The virtual performance is seasoned with songs, monologues, poetry and original designs uniquely devised by Baylor faculty and students. Catch any of the five performances livestreamed at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday with a 2 p.m. show Saturday and Sunday. Tickets cost $15 and can be purchased by clicking on the calendar on the website here, calling 254/710-1865 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Finish your shopping by celebrate the end of this year by supporting all the local artists, creatives, entrepreneurs, artisans, and musicians that create such a vibrant community in Waco at Eastside Market’s final market of 2020 at Brotherwell Brewing Sunday from 12-5 p.m. For details, visit the Facebook page here.
4. Test your gingerbread house building skills as you enjoy a festive Free Gingerbread House Workshop from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday. For ages 5 and older, there is no cost to participate, but registration is required and space is limited. The Bledsoe-Miller Community Center is located at 300 North M.L.K. Jr., Blvd. To register, contact the center at 254/750-8684. To learn more about this and lots of other fun activities by The City of Waco Parks and Recreation Department, visit the Facebook page here.
5. The Waco Downtown Farmers Market is holding the final market of 2020 featuring handmade vendors Saturday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Handmade vendors will be located on the 5th Street side of the market. Masks are required for all customers and vendors. Find details on the website here or for the latest updates visit the Facebook page here.
6. Kiddos can explore their inner artist with Art Center Waco’s Art Lab classes offered this Saturday at either 10-11:30 a.m. or 1-2:30 p.m. Recommended for children in first through sixth grade, every 90-minute lesson begins by analyzing key elements and techniques behind famous works of art, working through proper material use and studio procedures and then putting it all into practice by creating a relevant product. Parents and guardians are welcome, but not required to stay during the class. Space is limited, and pre-registration is recommended. For details, visit the website here.
Cody Hibbard, The Backyard Bar Stage & Grill, 8 p.m., $10-$15
Mike Stanley, Lakeside Bar & Live Music, 9 p.m.
Taylor Branch & The Lone Star Ramblers w/ Trigger Jones, Lakeside Bar & Live Music, 9:30 p.m.