Celebrate Labor Day weekend the Waco way with these events ranging from energizing sets of live music to an intellectually stimulating seminar, and everything in between. Read on for plenty of ideas and things to do in Waco this weekend.
Plan ahead with our events calendar at wacoan.com/featured-events. And when out and about, be sure to tag us (@Wacoan) on social media and use the #WacoWeekend!
1. First Friday Waco is back again with longer hours and special deals from some of your favorite local spots. Make sure to take a trip downtown to experience the exclusive events occurring the first Friday of every month, in the hopes of continually supporting Waco’s bustling businesses. Click here for more information.
2. Feel like catching a movie outdoors? Head to The Backyard Bar, Stage & Grill Thursday night for the Dinner & A Movie event with “Stand By Me” and “The Outdsiders” showing outside on their digital Jumbotron with concert sound at 7 and 9:30 p.m., respectively. There is no cover charge. For details, find the Facebook event here.
3. Country music artist and Lorena native Kristin Kelly is returning to the Slippery Minnow, a former go-to spot of hers, to perform this Saturday! Starting at 7 p.m., the set is sure to be a fun homecoming and include hit favorites and new songs as well . For more information, visit the event Facebook page.
4. Baylor art graduate Cade Kegerreis’ exhibition “Devolved: Unity through Evolution, Diversity, and Connection” continues this weekend at Cultivate 7Twelve, open Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 12-7 p.m. Visit the exhibit to potentially understand your own differences better, in the overall pursuit of unity and acceptance. To learn more, visit Cultivate 7Twelve’s Facebook page.
Also, check out our interview with Cade from our December 2019 issue at magazine.wacoan.com or click here.
5. Put on your cowboy hat and head over to the 31st Annual ANHA Shootout at the Extraco Events Center. A Labor Day tradition, this event will take place Friday through Monday, starting at 9 a.m. each day. For a full schedule of the exhibitions and contests occurring, visit this link.
6. The Waco Downtown Farmers Market has the perfect food vendors to satisfy your sweet or salty cravings this Saturday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Located in front of the McLennan County Courthouse and the ALICO building, find details on the website.
Mike Stanley, The Hightop at the Hippodrome, 7 p.m.
Giovannie & The Hired Guns w/ Dylan Wheeler, The Backyard Bar Stage & Grill, 8:30 p.m., $12-$15
Run 4 Cover & Fortify Live, Tradinghouse Bar & Grill, 7:30 p.m.