Happy February! We hope you have had a great week and are ready for an exciting weekend. There’s a lot happening, so check out this list to make sure you don’t miss some of the best event’s Waco has to offer!
Check out the events here on our blog at grackle.wacoan.com or find even more events and prepare for next weekend with our events calendar at wacoan.com/featured-events or our monthly Short List in January’s issue at magazine.wacoan.com. Be sure to tag us (@Wacoan) on social media and let us know what fun things you are up to!
1. Check out the first ever Waco Family & Faith International Film Festival at the Hippodrome this weekend, February 6-8. A VIP reception will be the kick-off event at Z’s at the Curry Thursday evening. For more information, tickets and a schedule click here.
2. It’s First Friday this weekend, meaning downtown will be the place to be! The Kieran-Sistrunk Fine Art Gallery will host an exhibit featuring artist Chesley Smith on Friday from 4 to 9 p.m. There will also be events at Balcones Distillery, Cultivate 7twelve, Centex Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and more.
3. The Dr Pepper Museum is also celebrating First Friday with the opening of their new exhibit “Pop Pop, Fizzle Fizzle.” There will be free admission on Friday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. For information, click here.
4. Head to the Ferrell Center Saturday, February 8 at 5 p.m. to watch the Big 12 #1 ranked Baylor Men’s Basketball team play the Oklahoma State Cowboys. For details go here.
5. The 2020 Father & Daughter Sweet Memories Dance will be held Friday, February 7 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the Carleen Bright Arboretum. Tickets are $30/person and by reservation only, call 254.399.9204. For more information, click here.
6. Crestview Church of Christ and the Tim Tebow Foundation welcome people to their 2020 Night to Shine event Friday from 6 to 9 p.m. An unforgettable prom experience for people with special needs, ages 14 and older. Guests will receive the royal treatment including hair and makeup stations, limousine rides, karaoke, dinner, dancing and more. To sign up or learn how to get involved, click here.
7. Need a good laugh? Head to the Silo District Comedy Club this Friday, February 7 from 9:30 to 11 p.m. to watch comedians Kevin Bozeman and Tyler Wood crack up a crowd.
8. Head to Baylor’s Martin Museum of Art to check out the Department of Art and Art History Faculty Biennial Exhibition featuring original art and research from Baylor professors. Museum hours this weekend are Thursday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m.
9. If you pride yourself on keeping up with award shows and celebrities, then this month’s First Thursday Trivia is for you! Head to the Hippodrome on Thursday night for an Oscar themed game of trivia. Arrive early because the first question starts exactly at 6 p.m. They ask that teams register beforehand, so click here to sign up. Good luck!
10. It’s time for this month’s Stars Over Texas Jamboree, “Gospel Edition.” Check out some of Texas’ best musicians and singers at 6:45 p.m. Thursday, February 6 at Lee Lockwood Library and Museum.
11. Looking to celebrate Valentine’s early? Check out the Baylor Club Valentine’s Dinner + Dance Saturday, February 8 from 6 to 10 p.m. Make sure to call 254/710-8080 to reserve your spot, so that you and your loved one can join the party and dance the night away.
12. Barnett’s Public House will be hosting their annual Girl Scout Specialty Dinner on Friday February 7 from 7 to 9 p.m. Each course has one or more Girl Scout Cookies incorporated into the dish and are sourced from Girl Scouts in the local area. For more information, click here.
13. Head to the Waco Mammoth National Monument this Saturday for their Women in Geosciences Junior Ranger Day. Enjoy a day of tours, stories and activities from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information and a schedule of events, click here.
14. Check out the 16th Annual Battle on the Burning Sands Step Show, showcasing students of African American Greek-lettered organization from all across the state of Texas and beyond at Waco Hall, this Saturday February 8 at 7 p.m.
15. Another weekend means another stop by The Waco Downtown Farmers Market. Head downtown for some fresh produce, donuts and flowers to brighten up your week on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Ed Leonard, Junction 36, 6:30 p.m.
Stars Over Texas Jamboree: Gospel Edition, Lee Lockwood Library and Museum, 7-9 p.m.
Baylor Jazz Ensemble, Jones Concert Hall, 7:30 p.m.
Bart Crow Live at The Backyard, Backyard Bar Stage and Grill, 6 p.m.
Greg Bashara and Evan Klaras (Jazz), Hilton on 113 S University Parks Dr, 7-10 p.m.
Branded Heart, Bo’s Barn Dancehall, 9 p.m.
Bruce Carbonara (Sinatra-Style Vocalist), Rosati’s Pizza, 7 p.m.
Fang Dango, Old Friends, 8 p.m.
Darrell Ray and Isaac Martinez, Waco Winery Tasting Room, 8 p.m.
Undercroft Presents: Andrew Hudson (Pianist), Undercroft Social Club, 8 p.m.
JD Hicks and the H.O.T. Road Gang, Rocky’s Roadhouse, 2-6 p.m.
Texas Heartbeat, The American Legion Post 121, 7 p.m.
Baylor Symphony Orchestra w/ A Cappella Choir and Concert Choir, Jones Concert Hall, 7:30-9 p.m.
Andrew Hudson, Cultivate 7twelve, 8 p.m.
Nolan Pick Band, Elk Hall, 8:30 p.m.
Sundae Drivers, BIG’s Mayberry Tavern, 8:30 p.m.
Rewind Party Band, Lakeside Tavern, 9 p.m.
Gordon Collier Band, 5J Dance Hall, 9 p.m.
Jake Worthington, Melody Ranch, 9 p.m.